This is a retro recipe, that we always make around the holidays for parties - Tasty stuff!
What you need
- 2 Frozen packages (10 ounce) broccoli or equivalent fresh broccoli
- 1/2 Cup of chopped onion
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1.5 cups of cubed Velveeta (You could use real cheese too, will just want something that melts well)
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- Optional - Bread crumbs
For a bigger batch, just double the ingrediants
- Thaw and drain broccoli, or chop up your fresh broccoli
- Pre-heat oven
- 300°f if using a glass dish
- 325°f if using a metal dish or pan
- Sauté the onion using the butter
- Add flour and water, stir well
- Add in the Velveeta, continue stirring until smooth and creamy
- Stir in the broccoli
- Gently stir in eggs
- Transfer this mixture to your baking dish/pan (I like disposable aluminum pans for this). Top with bread crumbs if desired or cheese
- Bake for 45 minutes, you’ll know it’s done when it starts to firm up (Shake the pan to check).
- Note: I’ve cooked this at sea-level and at an elevation of 5,280 feet, with the same results. Any higher than a mile high elevation and you may have to adjust cooking time/temps.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy! Cover with foil and bring to a friend’s place, just pop in the oven to warm up