It’s a fern you can eat. Very popular in Maine.
What you need
- ~1 lb fiddleheads
- Minced or crushed garlic. I use 3 cloves, but go nuts
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- THE FLAVA ENHANCA (MSG) or salt
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Clean the fiddleheads by rinsing with cold water. Remove any brown stuff and snip the ends
- Bring a pot of salted/ MSGed water to a boil and cook the fiddleheads for 5 minutes
- Remove the fiddleheads from the water and pat dry with paper towels so you don’t get spattered with hot butter in the next step
- Melt butter over medium high heat. Add the fiddleheads and sautée for ~5 minutes, until they start to brown
- Add the garlic, lemon juice and pepper and cook for another 3 minutes
I don’t know if Stephen King likes fiddleheads, but I am going to assume he does.